9.30.2010

{inspired by} the boyfriend (day 14)

j crew tee, target cardigan, vintage belt, banana republic chinos, 9 west flats
If 50's is all about the hour-glass figure; 60's mod; 70's hippie; 80's neon colors; 90s grunge; then I proclaim our decade as the era of the boyfriend. Really, why are we so obsessed with everything boyfriend- from the button downs to the sweaters to the cardigans to the jeans... are we really that insecure that we need to wear our boyfriends on our sleeves? Possible reflections of underlying social turmoils aside, I have to confess- I love the boyfriend. In fact I sometimes peruse the men's sales racks for x-small & smalls that I can incorporate in my own wardrobe. While androgynous is huge on the runways, I can't help but add a touch of femininety to my boy clothes- whether with belts or sequins or soft cardigans. 

Remember when Katie Holmes started the boyfriend jeans back in 07? It's pretty wild when you think about its widespread popularity since then. I definitely had a hard time getting used to this sillouette as I'm usually drawn towards clean lines & waist-cinching belts. While boyfriend jeans are still trendy, I love this pair of boyfriend chinos that I scored a while ago. Incredibly soft, surprisingly easy to wear, and always a classic.

2 comments:

  1. love it!
    great spurt of inspiration
    your blog is a great collection of different photos
    keep it up, i'll be back for sure!
    come visit COSMICaroline!

    -COSMICaroline
    COSMICaroline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you weren't fully convinced that menswear trend was taking over, check this out

    http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/style/fashionweek/runway.html?ref=fashion#/spring_2011_smith_paul/slide_show/

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile. :)