11.16.2010

{inspired by} the modern vassar girl


I have always been in love with everything old school and classic. Navy blazers, crisp blue button-downs, anything leather- these are just a few examples. So understandably I would own the book Take Ivy and obsess over the Ivy League asthetic. This book is such a great snapshot of life in 60s collegiate America. I am particularly impressed with the Vassar Girl- popularizing menswear way before our era of everything "boyfriend". Though their boxy jackets, straight-legged khakis and Brooks Brothers oxfords look infinitely cool, I could never pull off the look unless I stopped eating and lost twenty pounds. (which will never happen, no worries) So here I am, trading the boxy jacket for a soft cardigan, an ironed oxford for a fitted polo, bermuda shorts for a wool mini, and leopard print flats instead of loafers. 
If the original Vassar girls are cringing at the sight of my liberal rendition, then they can probably rest in peace after checking out the book I'm reading. And while we're on this topic, I could borrow a little bit of those Vassar smarts tonight for my 10-pager. Thanks in advance. 

6 comments:

  1. I really like the 2nd picture! You can't even tell that we took pictures on a gloomy day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the mix of prints you have going on! And absolutely adore those flats...leopard print flats are on my Christmas list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes :) ! And you ?

    PS : i love your shoes ^^'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Err...what are you talking about? you could so pull off Ivy league style/ the Take Ivy look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely... and as the author of Vassar Style, I look forward to seeing your response to the book next year! Glad that someone sent this on to me - it is a wonderful style and your interpretation is great! Best, Rebecca Tuite

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a current Vassar student, the fashion of our school has definitely abandoned the ivy look of yesteryears for an alternative hipster style. Check out our school's evolving fashion in our latest edition of Contrast, Vassar's exclusive fashion magazine. http://issuu.com/vassarcontrast/docs/fall2011/1

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile. :)